Monday, October 17, 2022

Be Kind

Dear Noah and Ellie,

Daddy takes pride in making food for the family. I have been cooking for both of you since you started to ingest solids. I know your likes and dislikes, even what you used to like, but don’t like anymore, and what you used to dislike but learnt to accept (this makes me super happy btw, every single time).

Daddy knows both of you love eating my Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice (
鲁肉饭) which I haven’t made for a long time, so Daddy decided to do a big portion so we can enjoy it many times in the near future – wait, not just any big portion, but the best big portion I can make within my ability.

I ordered beautiful pork belly from Sloane’s, one of the main pork suppliers for some of the best restaurants in the country. I know Ellie doesn’t like things too greasy, so I ordered it less fat.



I bought half a kg of shallots, peeled (thank you Noah for helping me) and sliced them, because fresh is best (I don’t trust those peeled shallots from the supermarkets). I also pounded beautiful
 Sarawak white peppercorns in the pestle and mortar. 


I started the process of cooking the braised pork after dinner on Saturday and only turned off the gas at 2.30am on Sunday. These late cooking nights are lonely nights. That’s why I always share my cooking process on social media so I feel like there’s company.

I wanted to continue braising the next morning but the gas ran out, and while sending the gas delivery man off, I turned my ankle badly with a mis-step on our porch.

Still, I wanted to finish where I left off, as I could picture the joy in your eyes when I serve dinner.

Dinner was ok. All of you ate, just not with the excitement I thought it would bring.

“It’s not as melt-in-your mouth as before,” Noah said.

“I am afraid I don’t feel well after eating too much greasy stuff,” Ellie said.

I know both of you knew that I was not too pleased with these comments and subsequently apologized.

Noah and Ellie, you did not do anything wrong. I would much rather you have a good palate than not. Knowing what’s greasy and what’s not, and knowing this batch is not as melt-in-your-mouth as previous batches is evidence of that.

I understand too, that in my willingness to present a greasy dish that’s not-too-greasy, I cannot please every customer.

Then again, you are not my customer. You are my children. My children that I have literally cooked tens of thousands of meals for.

I just request that in your brutal honesty, be kind.

Loving you more everyday
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever comments you have, please feel free to write them here! I appreciate receiving feedback of your feelings after reading my blog and I promise I will respond to your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...