This wonderful baked potato salad is another result of a multitude of concepts in my mind after watching an obscene amount of food-related shows on telly these days (most current craze being Top Chef). To make things less complicated for all of you, I am essentially breaking this recipe down into 3 simple mini dishes, and at the end of the day you just have to put them altogether and tuck in! The stated ingredients feed 2 hungry people.
1. The base of this salad is of course, baked potatoes, to make this, you need:
- 4 large potatoes, washed, cut into cubes and seasoned with
- dried rosemary
- paprika powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a dash of balsamic vinegar (which is another backbone of this dish)
- medium-grade olive oil (do not use extra virgin for baking!)
2. I like my salads to have a non-veg element, a carb and of course, greens. I believe you can use any salad leaf, but I recommend rocket, basil or watercress, which in this case, I again chose my favourite- rocket:
- 100g of wild rocket, washed and then dried with a salad spinner
- a dressing of 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 9 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (1 part acid 3 parts oil), plus some salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
3. This is what I have been wanting to do for a long time, a very nice and sweet salsa-like baked sweet pepper salad. This is what I consider as the X-factor for the dish, and it's not very convenient to make, but here goes:
- 3 bell peppers or ora, preferably with different colours so that the salsa turns out pretty, kept whole
- medium-grade olive oil to sprinkle over the peppers before baking
- for dressing at the end, you will need a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, some salt and black pepper plus a good tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Before I proceed to plating, which is the easiest thing if you have taken the trouble to complete all of the above, I'd like to introduce the non-veg element of this dish.
Smoked Salmon! I added 2 large pcs per serving, however, you can go vegan and do without this, or you can go the sinful indulgence way of frying some steaky bacon/pancetta to complete the meal.
Finally, plate the salad with all the goodies you have already prepared.
|The Best Potato Salad!|
With a final cracking of black peppercorns, here's the final result.
Spear your fork through a tiny bit of everything and enjoy yourself.
This is my proudest creation yet, do try this at home and I am sure you will not regret!